Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Fireworks Jackson

A silly and calming puppet skit. I used this for my preschool group, but there were older siblings in the audience and they enjoyed it just as much.

Puppet:
small monkey hand puppet

No props needed.





I carefully took Fireworks Jackson from my tote bag. Wow, he was very shy! The children were off their feet and crowded around me to get a glimpse of him, so I pretended he whispered in my ear and said he'd be a little less scared if everyone was sitting down.
Once the children were settled back on the story time carpet, Fireworks Jackson whispered in my ear that he was sad because he was going to miss the Fourth of July fireworks--the noise was so loud, it frightened him. I asked the children if any of them were also afraid of the sound of fireworks. (Some were.)

So I told FJ and the children that even if they were anxious about the fireworks, they didn't have to miss them! Instead, I showed them how to make pretend fireworks with our hands.

It's easy!

I've adapted my own version from Billy Jonas' wonderful applause idea, and it brings smiles every time.

First, clap your hands together.
Next, hands together, shoot your pretend fireworks into the air with a whoosh!
Clap your hands above your head!
Now, sprinkle your firework fingers down to your right side, then your left--all the while saying "ooh," 'aah," "pretty colors!" Do this a few times and really play it up! Sometimes, I ask children to call out the colors of their fireworks as they descend; they come up with interesting combinations!

Once we were finished, FJ clapped (he has great little hands for clapping) and jumped up and down on my lap. He was so excited to try pretend fireworks!

Happy Fourth!

A brief video of Billy Jonas' "fireworks" can be seen here:

No comments:

Post a Comment