Friday, February 10, 2012

Carlo Chameleon

As I'm writing this, I have "Carlo, Carlo, Carlo, Carlo, Carlo Chameleon" (a la Culture Club) running through my head. It makes writing easier!



Puppet:
chameleon

Props:
faux food

After reading about chameleons, I learned some important facts I shared with the storytimers:

1) chameleons can't hear very well
2) chameleons have an amazing sense of sight
3) chameleons can't hear very well

With that in mind, I introduced Carlo. The skit went like this:

This is Carlo. He is a chameleon. He's very shy. (Carlo has his head tucked under my left arm.) "Oh, Carlo. It's OK. You can come out, we're with friends."

The thing is, Carlo can't hear very well--chameleons don't have ears like you and I. So when you talk to Carlo, you should probably TALK LOUDLY. Can you tell Carlo good morning, so he feels welcome in storytime today? Maybe a little louder? (Have them get as loud as you want.)

Oh yes, there he is. (Carlo comes out from under my arm.) As I said, Carlo is a chameleon. Can you say "chameleon"? What color is he? Carlo can see very well. His eyes . . . "Carlo!" (he begins chewing my nametag.) I forgot to mention, Carlo loves to chew. (I pull him off my nametag and he chews my finger.) "No chewing, Carlo."

Can you help me tell him no chewing? Loudly, but politely, can you say, "Please, no chewing, Carlo."

Do you think he's hungry? I have some things Carlo may just eat. (Pull food props from my bag.) He spits them all out. Then whispers in my ear. Do you know what Carlo says he wants? A fly! I have a fly right here. (He eats the fly.) Did any of you bring a fly with you today?

We take turns feeding Carlo whatever the children have brought with them to feed him.

Carlo is full. He needs a nap. (We tell him goodbye and put him in the storytime bag.)

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment