Friday, December 14, 2012

Setting the Turkeys Free! A Whiteboard Story

I used this skit in preschool story time as part of a Thanksgiving theme. It's an adaptation of Setting the Turkeys Free by Lisa Nikola. I think the book translated well to telling with the whiteboard.

Puppet:
fox

Props:
hand print turkeys
fist-print boulder
foam stickers for decorating the hand print turkeys
craft sticks for fencing
whiteboard
dry-erase markers

The day before my story time, I dipped my hands in paint and made a few hand print turkeys on heavy card stock. I also painted my fist and stamped it onto a piece of card stock to use as the boulder. Once the turkeys and boulder were dry, I attached a magnet to the back of each and set them aside to use. I then took some craft sticks and put a magnet strip on the back of each to use as fencing.

I told the book as I drew a field on the whiteboard. Then, I added my first hand print turkey and decorated it with foam stickers. Next, I added additional turkeys and decorated them as well. I finished the scene off with the craft stick fence and drew rails on the fence with brown marker.

Using my fox puppet, I introduced fox and brainstormed ways to keep him from my turkeys. As in the book, I put up my fist-print boulder and then erased the fencing so the turkeys could run away.

But, in the end, the turkeys came back to my little green field!




No comments:

Post a Comment